Sunday 10 May 2015

The Disengagement Factory

Can you remember your first "real" job? I don't mean the one where you worked at a grocery, a movie theater, or a telemarketing agency (I worked at all three). I mean your first job out of college where you had to write cover letters, interview, and negotiate a salary. I remember mine vividlu. After graduating college with honors and a dual B.A. in business management and economics from UC Santa Cruz, I ended up working at a technology company in downtown L.A. I was still living at home with my parents but was very excited to land my first job. During the interview I was told I'd be going to business development meetings, traveling, meeting influential people, and helping to grow the company. Sounded amazing! I was even willing to forego the 1.5 hour commute each way to and from work. After months of working there I was stuck doing data entry, powerpoint presentations, and cold-calling. I was officially disengaged. This a story and experience that all too many employees around the world face. Our companies have become "disengagement factories."

No comments:

Post a Comment